Spotlight on Fairtrade
We have been shining the spotlight on Fairtrade products, ingredients and suppliers as part of Fairtrade Fortnight, which took place from Monday 28 February – Sunday 6 March 2022.
At Great Food at Leeds we are passionate about Fairtrade and have been responsibly sourcing and selling Fairtrade food and drink products in our outlets since 2003!
What is Fairtrade?
Fairtrade aims to tackle the injustices of conventional trade and ensure that their farmers have decent working conditions and prices for the crops they grow.
We understand that choosing Fairtrade and ethically sourced products is one way we stand with those vulnerable communities at the front line of the climate crisis.
What is Fairtrade Fortnight?
Thousands of individuals, companies and groups across the UK come together for Fairtrade Fortnight each year, to share the stories of people who grow our food and drinks, mine our gold and who grow the cotton in our clothes. These people are often exploited and underpaid.
Great Food at Leeds and Fairtrade Fortnight 2022
We have been busy showing our support for the farmers behind our Fairtrade food and drink! Here is how we got involved:
- Raffle to win a Fairtrade chocolate hamper, with all proceeds going to the Fairtrade Foundation
- Brought Fairtrade products together for our customers at till points in our outlets
- Offered a free Fairtrade banana to customers purchasing a main meal in the Refectory•
- Served up delicious chocolate chip banana bread, made with Fairtrade bananas, chocolate and sugar
How can you get involved?
As a customer, you can be part of the Fairtrade movement. You have the power to drive long-term change, through your shopping choices and spreading the Fairtrade message – this applies all year round, not just during Fairtrade Fortnight!
You can get involved in local campaigns, Fairtrade Yorkshire has information on this. Support Fairtrade shops and cafés in the local area, see Fairtrade Leeds for details, or cook some recipes using Fairtrade products. If you missed our delicious chocolate chip banana bread in the Refectory, why not have a go at making it yourself?
Follow our recipe below and share your bake with us on social media!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Ingredients (makes 8 slices)
- 125g butter
- 150g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 Fairtrade bananas, mashed
- 100g Fairtrade chocolate chips, white or milk are best
- 190g self-raising flour
- Prepare a 2lb loaf tin, grease and line with grease proof paper.
- Beat the sugar, butter and vanilla extract together until a creamy texture
- Add the mashed bananas and mix well
- Add the egg and mix well
- Stir in the flour and once combined add the chocolate chips
- Pour into the prepared tin, sprinkle with a tablespoon of demerara sugar to give a crunch topping if desired
- Bake at 150c fan assisted oven (170c regular or gas mark 3) for 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool, slice and enjoy! Serve with custard to make a delicious pudding