Great Food at Leeds: Platinum Award Winners
On Wednesday 10th June the annual Sustainability Awards took place at the University of Leeds.
Great Food at Leeds provided a delicious locally sourced vegan meal which was created with low impact on the environment and was gluten and dairy free. It was a wonderful evening bringing together people from across the University to celebrate each others achievements over the past year.
We are delighted to announce that Great Food at Leeds has once again received the Platinum Award for our approach to sustainability and sustainable practices which have been embedded into both our values and our everyday operations.
Individual Award Winners
Two members of the Great Food at Leeds team were also recognised for the work they have done over the last year to support and promote the Sustainability Service at the University.
Building Knowledge and Capacity – We are delighted that Ian Addy, our Catering Operations Manager, won an award for the enormous amount of support to the Sustainability Service this year. His notable work includes;
- Supporting ‘living lab’ projects by assisting members of the Service on waste management and energy efficiency projects for the Refectory
- Assisting the service with smoothie bike for UTravelActive events
- Excellent catering for the EAUC conference
- Hosting events with the use of the use of the Sustainable Garden
Making the Most of Resources – Donella Fernyhough, our Retail Café Bars Manager, won this award for her work on promoting campus biodiversity. She achieved this by:
- Contributing to the Fairtrade agenda at the University and is always involved in the organisation of Fairtrade fortnight and other ethical consumption events
- Ordering a duck house and arranging for the fountains to be switched off and the Roger Stevens pond so the ducks can safely raise their young
- Researching ducks’ behaviour above and beyond her role in Commercial Services
- The ducks have helped to engage people across campus with the biodiversity agenda
- She also plays an active role in fundraising at the University
We look forward to continuing our work with the Sustainability Service and colleagues from across the University to carry on having a positive impact both locally and nationally.