In 2005 the University of Leeds obtained Fairtrade status and our continued support has helped Yorkshire to be named the first Fairtrade region in the country.
In 2014 we were proud to be recognised with a Platinum accreditation at the Green Impact awards, the award recognised the sustainable approach that Great Food at Leeds has taken to embed our sustainable approach into both our values and our everyday operations.
Some highlights of what we do include;
- Creating a sustainability strategy with objectives and actions for staff throughout the service. The continued commitment to the Green Impact project and the Green Tourism award has also been integral to ensuring ‘buy in’ from the relevant teams.
- Re-usable Keep Cups were given to every student in University accommodation this year and have saved hundreds of cups going to landfill.
- Our Deli(very) business recently reviewed their menus and processes to use more local suppliers and follow a strict food policy which ensures ethical, sustainable procurement of all food. We also provide recycling bags so that customers are able to recycle all non-returnable items in the correct way.
- Consolidating our deliveries has reduced our Carbon emissions by an estimated 50kgs per week.
- 70% of our main food suppliers are within 30 miles of the University
Find out how we did at the Sustainability Awards 2015.
The menu, which covered a Gala Dinner and a number of finger buffets, was rewarded for every percentage point of their ingredients spent on ethical and environmentally friendly food, locally sourced ingredients and steps to offer healthier menus.
On top of all that it’s a tasty looking menu too! Take a look at the menu here.
Great Food at Leeds KeepCups are available across campus and you save 10p each time you use yours!
Visit our KeepCup section to find out more.
We proudly support…
Each year staff from Great Food at Leeds and the Facilities Directorate select two charities (one local and one national) to support allowing us to focus all of our efforts to help raise funds.
This year we are proud to announce that the two selected charities are:
We will be arranging a number of money-raising events and will have collection points in our cafés if you would like to help us in our support of these two worthy causes.